Doctors always prescribe OTC medication to effectively get rid of Angular Cheilitis. They will prescribe different kinds of medication: ketoconazole, mycostatin, hydrocortisone, and clotrimazole but only a few of these will produce the results you want.
What is Angular Cheilitis?
Also known as Angular Stomatitis, Angular Cheilosis, Granulomatous Cheilitis or Perleche, it is the inflammation found along the corners of the mouth and it may either be unilateral or bilateral. They first appear as cracks or splits and may develop into deep lesions that are very painful. Severe cases of these will involve some bleeding as a result of excessive opening of the mouth and sometimes the infection can migrate and infect other areas in the mouth and tongue and teeth. It is also known as angular glossitis.
What causes Angular Cheilitis?
K now what these are so that you can get rid of Angular Cheilitis or simply prevent it.
- Bacteria are the pathogens responsible for the disease proves. It is staphylococcus aureus and it can be found in the nostrils. Infection can spread via the hand or most often when the person is suffering from colds and because of the nature of the disease, it occurs most in children.
- It can also be Candidiasis perleche, with Candida albicans as the responsible microorganism and it is most frequently found in the elderly.
- There are also some conditions that trigger the disease:
- Take for instance in the case of an elderly person who is already completely edentulous and exhibit some collapse especially in the labial line. This condition will cause much of the saliva to collect at the corners of the mouth and so create a perfect environment where the bacteria can reside in.
- Frequent licking of the lips can contribute also because contrary to what many think, saliva can actually make it worse because it is not particularly sterile
- Usual dryness of the mouth and poor oral hygiene
- Vitamin deficiencies especially that of B1, B6, B9, B12 and some minerals like zinc and iron
- There are also some medical conditions that increase the likelihood of the person from developing the disease, such as:
- Crohn’s Disease
- Prolonged intake of cortisone and antibiotics
How can one get rid of Angular Cheilitis?
The truth is, if you know what the causative factor is, you can easily say goodbye to the disease. By simply eliminating the discouraging factor you can bring your condition back to normal circumstances and be relieved of all the painful symptoms. You no longer have to go through the physical and emotional agony related to it, you can get rid of Angular Cheilitis easily.