Stomatitis Mucositis is a condition which affects the digestive system of a person. However, these are two separate conditions which manifests in two different parts of the said system.
Stomatitis occurs only on the mouth and lips corners. Cracked corners of lips or sores at mouth corners may show up. It is evident by the wounds that occur on the mouth. Moreover, there are even cases when this condition would also touch areas such as the tongue, cheeks, lips, gums, throat, and either the floor or roof of the sufferer’s mouth.
On the other hand, stomatitis mucositis mainly happens on the mucous membranes of the digestive tract. That is, ulcerations and inflammation can be found on the tract if an individual will contract this affliction. This is usually the side effect of undergoing radiation treatment and chemotherapy in cancer patients. However, there are cancer patients who still stay safe from the touch of this affliction.
According to statistics, there are 400,000 Americans who have experienced Stomatitis Mucositis not only due to cancer treatments but also mainly due to weak immune system. Cancer patients who undergo radiation therapy from the head to the pelvis or abdomen have a greater chance of contracting Stomatitis Mucositis.
There are different stomatitis mucositis remedies by which it can be managed and these are generally by altering the diet of the sufferer. Include these in your diet and lifestyle:
1. Avoiding taking high levels of caffeine, beverages, tobacco, and alcohol.
2. Eating moistened or pureed foods is a remedy.
3. Avoiding coarse and rough foods.
4. Drinking lot of milkshakes and fruit shakes.
5. Abstaining from acidic and spicy foods can be helpful for angular stomatitis mucositis.
6. Avoiding eating too hot or too cold foods.
7. Not using mouthwash with alcohol content.
8. Drinking plenty of water and fluids every day.
9. Sucking on ice chips.
10. Relieving the pain by taking over-the-counter anaesthetics.
11. Gargling with salt and baking soda solution. The correct proportion would be ½ tsp tale salt, 1 quart of plain water, and ½ tbsp of baking soda.