Different Types of Yeast Infections
Yeast infection is mainly caused by the overgrowth of the fungi called the Candida species. There are twenty types of these fungi but Candida albicans cause most of the infections experienced by humans. There are other types of yeast infection caused by other Candida species.
1. Thrush is an infection caused by Candida. This usually occurs in the throat and mouth of people who have diseases like HIV or AIDS, diabetes, systemic corticosteroids, and neoplasms. These are all chronic diseases.
2. Per leche is an infection that causes the skin to soften, leading to creases near the mouth.
3. Candidal diaper rash occurs in the diaper area. This usually happens when the skin is always exposed to moisture.
4. Intertrigo is commonly found in the folds of the skin that are kept moist and warm most of the time. These areas include the groin, underarms, breasts, and the abdominal folds of obese people. When the skin is constantly moist and has cuts, yeast can usually multiply and cause infection.
5. Candidal vulvovaginitis is found in the vaginal tract. This is accompanied by redness, burning sensation, itching, and irritation of the affected area.
6. Candidal body rash occurs when the person experiences constant and excessive sweating, long-time immobility, or uses antibiotic. This usually happens to diabetes patients who are bed-ridden.
7. Congenital cutaneous candidiasis happens to mothers who have newly delivered their babies. This is signified by rashes in the birth canal that may appear hours after the delivery.
8. Erosio interdigitalis blastomycetica can be found in between finger webs. This comes with redness and softening of the skin. This usually happens to people who wear rings with moist fingers and those who are more exposed to water than usual, like the launderers.
9. Candidal paronychia occurs in the nail folds. This results to pus, discharge, and swelling of the fingernail.
10. Chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis is an infection that gives the one suffering from it thick skin cuts or lesions and nail dystrophy.
11. Systemic candidiasis can be found in any part of the body. This is the most dangerous Candidal infection because 75% of the patients with this disease may die. Other yeast infections that occur in the vagina and in the mouth can also lead to more dangerous diseases. This is brought about along with bruises all over the body. This also happens to be a symptom of leukemia, diabetes, or AIDS.
If we are going to check all these types of infection we may notice that one way or another one or two of these infections have been experienced by us. Data shows that almost 90 – 95 percent of people have experienced yeast infections in their lifetime. From the time we were babies up to the time we will be wearing dentures we will be encountering different types of fungal infections.
Lifestyle, trends and bad habits are only few of the great contributors of yeast infections. Other factors are due to our needs such as the use of antibiotics, stress or fatigue due to work, birth control pills and many other things we must do in order to live and survive comfortably.
Because we are constantly on the go following different lifestyles and practices sometimes we forgot that we have yeast infections until the symptoms become severe. For example, vaginal yeast infections may appear as vaginal irritations at first then it will be followed by itching. Women may think that they are just allergic to the soap they are using so they change their soaps. Then the discharge comes and that’s it. For men, what seems to be skin lesions outside and inside their mouths may be thought of a reaction to their new toothpaste or shaving cream until the lesions reach the esophagus and cause esophagitis.
There are times that we do not worry about having yeast infections because we know that fungal infections are common to people. At the back of our mind, we know we can always rely on cures, remedies and treatment that area easily available. We also know that there are always doctors who can diagnose and prescribed medications for us to get rid of the symptoms and the roots of the infections. However, this must not always be the kind of mentalities we must have because in the first place having a yeast infection is painful, irritating, embarrassing and it is unavoidable that people may see you as unclean and unhygienic. Nobody wants to be infected with any of the types of yeast infection because nobody wants to experience these critical experiences. It is now up to you how you can stop from becoming a victim of an opportunistic fungus that lives among us.