Kids get yeast infections just like the rest of us. The process is the same: the fungi (Candida) that is present in their bodies grows uncontrollably because the immune system is either weak or has been weakened and has become unable to stop it as it would normally have been able to. The factors that can affect the immune system is the kid’s diet (usually too much sugar or carbohydrates), not being taught the right way to keep themselves clean (or in the case of babies, not being kept clean by their care takers), or any other childhood ailment that can compromise their immune system, especially if they are taking antibiotics.
Unfortunately the treatment for yeast infections in kids is not the same. The medicines may be too harsh and can actually end up doing more harm than good. There are also other homeopathic alternative treatments that are safer, but oftentimes not as effective. Sometimes a parent will try to take upon themselves to “invent” a home remedy, which can be dangerous to say the least.
The Safe Route
The safest way to address yeast and yeast infections is to have their own body’s immune system do it for them. The holistic view of the body the greater sum of its interrelated parts means that each and every aspect that can affect the body should be seen in its proper perspective, and addressed accordingly. Rather than concentrating on the resulting infection, this course would focus on the underlying causes.
This route is not only the safest, because the child’s body will not be introduced to harsh chemicals and treatments, but the most beneficial for the child as well. It will make the body stronger and healthier and able to fight off all other ailments, not just yeast infections.
However if your children are already suffering from yeast infections as you see symptoms manifest, better bring them to their pediatricians for proper diagnosis and treatment. Remember that you just cannot treat the child’s yeast infection with over the counter drugs because their immune system is not as strong as ours. You cannot also put them under home remedies because their skin may not be able to handle some of the elements of the homeopathic treatments and cures. Additionally, some medications of adults may also interfere with their growth and development.
In order to prevent your kids from having the infection and keep it from coming back here are the things you must always consider:
• If the infected child is still a baby you have to change those diapers more often. For few minutes a day leave the baby without diaper to aerate the baby’s infected skin and this is good against the rashes.
• Keep their toys always clean especially those that they put in their mouth.
• If treatment is ongoing always change their bed’s linen so that there would not be possible recurrence of the infection.
• When you noticed that there is an infected child around do not let your baby get close to the child because your baby will be most vulnerable in contracting the disease.
• Provide your baby with appropriate diet and a good diet is always the better prevention than cure and remedies.
• When you as the mother is already infected with vaginal yeast infection and has already showing signs of infections like itching and vaginal discharge, avoid holding or breastfeeding your baby for a while and go for your treatment. A mother-to-baby transmission of the infection is most likely because you and your child have almost the same genes and therefore capable of transmitting the infection to your child.
• For recurrent yeast infections, try changing your laundry detergents because your baby must be having allergic reactions to the things he or she uses. Change the soap and toilet paper as well with milder toiletries.
• Take out all things that contain perfumes and harsh chemicals away from the child because these may cause allergies.
Bear in mind though that these are only for preventive purposes and will not serve the baby well if the baby is already infected. The best procedure you could do to make your baby safer is taking him or her to the pediatrician once yeast infection is detected and make sure you follow every procedure of the treatment that the doctor recommends.